October 27, 2008

Halloween Costume Crisis



Costumes required…that’s what it says on my invitation to this year’s Halloween party. Oh, the horror!

Here’s my dilemma: I don’t want to spend my paycheck on an overpriced and ill-fitting costume that I’ll never wear again (Been there, done that!). But, I also don’t want to show up as just “me” to a costume party and run the risk of insulting my friends.

My solution? Get creative with real clothes – something that I already own or something I can buy and wear again. Then, add a few inexpensive props from a party store. That way, I’m “in costume,” and my money is well spent. Here’s what I’m considering:

“Dorothy” blue wrap dress with red sparkle pumps… (put hair in pigtails; carry toy “Toto” dog).

“Back Cat” Black velvet pants, black sweater and long black gloves (add costume ears & tail)

“Frost” Silver metallic blazer with grey pants and silver pumps (add glittery silver make up for an icy touch)

“1920s Dame” M by Shakara drop-waist satin dress with pleated hem, felt cloche hat (add “bob” wig and long pearl necklace)

The more I think about it, the more I’m starting to think that this could be fun! Anyone else have any quick-and-easy costume suggestions?

By Bren B