October 31, 2008

How much is enough?

My wife and I have been married for five years and in that time, I've learned a lot about her. What she likes to eat, what she does in her free time, her favorite books...the one thing about her that I've never been able to understand is her obsession with shoes. She, like the majority of women, adores buying and wearing shoes. She owns at least 20 different pairs and each one has a different purpose. One she wears only to work, another only to go shopping, another to the gym, another to take the kids to the park, another for this, another for that. It's never ending.

I have to be honest with you. As a man, I just don't get it. I own 4 pairs of shoes: one for work, one for when I'm not at work, one for the gym, and one pair of flip flops. That's it. I don't need a special pair of shoes to go out to a restaurant or to mow the lawn. And I certainly don't need one in teal, or lavender, or yellow. When I asked my wife to explain the need for all of the shoes, she couldn't answer me. "Honey, you wouldn't understand!" she said. The truth of it is, I probably wouldn't understand but I would be willing to listen. So if any of you ladies out there can justify the need for owning more shoes than there are days in the month, please let me know.

By Mr. Y