January 29, 2010

Konnichiwa!

I'm not trying to get you all jealous, but I'll be heading to Japan in 2 weeks! My husband and I postponed our honeymoon for a year and figured we'd go all out, since we both LOVE Japanese culture and fashion.

And fashion indeed! Just like in the big American cities like New York, with their Uptown and Downtown fashion, Tokyo has different fashion scenes as well. Perhaps the most "popular" (more like eclectic or crazy) style is from the Harajuku area of Tokyo. Harajuku is made up of many different aspects; there isn't one thing that can be considered as Harajuku. The style involves layering, colors, accessories - anything and everything that makes you stand out and be an individual. Mixing and matching (and mismatching) patterns and fashions, gothic, punk, cosplay (dressing up like your favorite anime character), wearing cutsy pieces, teddy bears, cartoon characters, and the beloved, Hello Kitty. Anything that is unique or original, hand-made, did-it-yourself, 'Bedazzled' - slap it on and walk the Jingu Bridge in Tokyo, and you'll fit right in.

I think I might just stroll across the bridge with my camera, in my normal jeans and t-shirts, I'm just not Harajuku material ;) I'll be sure to share pictures with you all! Sayonara!