January 21, 2010

Makeup for the Over 30 Girl

This past weekend, my sisters and I decided to meet up for a fun day of shopping and sister-bonding. The main event of our “sister day” was getting makeovers at MAC.

I’ll admit that the older I get, the more I find myself going back to my “old faithful” shades...especially for eye makeup. So, I was excited to see what fun new trends the MAC consultant would recommend.

Of course, when the consultant came out with a palette of creams and reds…I was shocked! I told him that I normally wear a dark plum on my eyes, or sometimes a rich dark brown…I didn’t think the brick red he was holding was going to work AT ALL.

“When you’re a girl over 30, the darker colors fall into the creases around the eye,” he explained (God love him for not calling them wrinkles). “And that can make your eyes look sunken in. Brighter shades reflect more light and make you look just a little bit more…refreshed.”

I was pretty skeptical, but I let him try his “lighter, brighter shades” on me. And as much as I hate to admit it, he was right. My “creases” were much less noticeable, and it did make my blue eyes look brighter.

So there you go girls…if you’re over 30 and looking for a change, try a brighter eye shadow. You may just be surprised at how “refreshed” you look and feel.