February 16, 2010

Happy President's Day

This President's Day I am singing praises for the HBO mini series John Adams. My husband and I just finished the 7 part series on our 1st Vice President and 2nd President (thanks to Netflix!). Based on David McCullough's best selling book, the series tells the extraordinary story of the first 50 years of these United States through the eyes of one of our most dynamic founding fathers.

The story of John Adam's life had me captivated from beginning to end. It documents the details of his fiercely independent spirit, his loving relationship with his wife Abigail and his friendships and struggles with Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson.

I had not realized that John Adams defended, and won, the case for the British soldiers involved in the Boston massacre. And I found it so intriguing that John Adams died on July 4th, 1826, the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence - and the same day as the death of his beloved friend Thomas Jefferson.

Costume design and visual effects are also outstanding in this series. Whether the story is taking place in the early American states or abroad in France and Great Britain, the attention to detail given to the clothing and surroundings greatly enhances the experience.

My rating is two thumbs up for this award winning series! Let me know what you think.

by Suzy