May 12, 2010

The Beauty Within

Before you read on, I want you all to look in the mirror right now and say to yourselves... You ARE beautiful! :)

As a society, we're so wrapped up in image: what is she wearing? What car does he drive? Who were they with? I'll be the first to admit, I'm not one to go on a quick trip to the grocery store without pulling up my unwashed hair into a ponytail and a quick swoop of eyeliner before I head out. BUT! Why do I do it? To be honest, I don't know... I'm married, so there's only one person I need to impress, and I don't consider myself as THAT super image conscious (because afterall, I am walking out of the house in my sweatpants and oversized Celtics t-shirt that I slept in). Unfortunately, society and the media tells us what "beautiful" is: you have to be thin to wear those skinny jeans, you have to have big eyes and long eye lashes to flutter at the man you want - and all the while, we're spending dollars we might not have on the latest trends and starving ourselves with the next fad diet out there.

There are a few celebrities out there who have been brave enough to not only not put on make-up, but go to a photo shoot and get their picture taken and plastered on magazine covers in their natural beauty. Jessica Simpson has graced the cover of this month's Marie Claire in only her own skin, sans make up and Kim Kardashian posed for Harper's Bazaar in her bikini with un-touched up images.

If celebrities can accept themselves the way they are, flaws and all, why can't we? I think that's great! It's telling me, it's okay to skip the make up today and it's okay to get those jeans if they make my calves look big :) We need to all feel comfortable in our own skin, in order for our real beauty to shine through (I know it sounds corny, but it's true ladies!) I personally think that a nice, good-hearted person who might be average looking, is a much more beautiful person than a stuck up "witch with a 'b'" who might look like a model.

What do you think, what kind of beauty drives you?