May 25, 2010

Ruffles on the Red Carpet


They’re all over the place! Ruffles, I mean. And not the potato chip variety, though they do take up quite a bit of space in my kitchen. One of my favorite ruffle looks was Jennifer Hudson’s ruffle skirted gown at the Cannes Film Festival. What a great LBD (little black dress) plus ruffles.

All the press and buzz that ruffles are getting made me wonder why I don’t have more clothing with ruffled details. And it also made me curious as to whether there was a time period in which ruffles were as popular. I guess I’d have to go with the Elizabethans as the folks who really loved their ruffles—for both men and women. Get this: ruffles were a status symbol worn by the upper class of both genders. The rich had these big (and I mean HUGE) ruffled collars and the woman had their ruffled sleeves, in addition to their neck wear. Thankfully, though, you don’t have to be a millionaire or a celeb to wear them now.

I’m thinking that maybe I should give the ruffled look a try. Since I’d like to start slowly with adding a trend to my pretty basic wardrobe, I’m thinking our Ruffled Sleeve Tunic in white might be a good starting point. Paired with jeans, it could be the start of a fab new look for me.

What do you guys think? Will you get all ruffled up this season?

by AEL