April 22, 2010

Fashion Photogaphy

Over the last year or so I got really into photography - I went out and bought myself an entry-level DSLR camera and every chance I got, I went out to shoot anything and everything. I'm nowhere near as good as some of my friends who are professionals and much more talented than myself, however I've got the passion! I know the basics of lighting and white balance, ISO, shutter speed and aperture.
Something else I've learned in my amatuer photography training, is to really appreciate great photography. In my opinion, for great photography, you need to be able to capture "that" moment, freeze it in time and communicate that moment/emotion/story to others without saying a word, with just a simple picture. So with fashion photography, essentially pictures of clothes, you might think - "Hey, how hard can it be to take a picture of a shirt or a suit?" Think of this then: when you get our catalogs in the mail or visit our metrostyle.com website - what are you there to look at? The clothes!

Over the last several months, we've spent a lot of time thinking about how we want to showcase and improve the way our clothes are shot on the models; we have a lot more shots in studio, with neutral backgrounds and more focus on the clothes, so you can see more of the styling and details. It make such a big difference, to look back and see what we used to do and compare it to today. Stay tuned, because on our new website, you're going to have the ability to see larger and more detailed images and colorize them to see what something would look like if you were to order it.

Photography is so fun and exciting - share some of your favorite metrostyle pictures with us!