April 7, 2010

Q&A: Sashe

Hi, I’m 5’5 feet tall and still working my coke bottle shape – my hips are large and waist is small! I love to wear dresses a lot in all the vibrant colors but don’t really know what type of dress I should wear: A-line, cinched waist, belted? I’m having trouble finding the right type of dress to accentuate by figure all while trying to stay classy and most of all modest (I’m also a minister’s wife). I need HELP…spring is coming!
~ Sashe

Dear Sashe,

An A-line silhouette would be a great choice for you, although you shouldn’t feel limited to that style alone. In general dresses that are fitted right under the bust line and flare out slightly create a wonderful waist shape on a fuller figure woman. Waist embellishments, like pleating and ruching, also have a flattering effect. Some styles you might enjoy:

A-line: Mock-Wrap Shirtdress (#803-93489-518)


Empire: Tiered Tank Dress (#805-86327-518)


Column: Long Column Dress (#803-81149-518)


Sheath: Tulip Sleeve Jacket Dress (#803-79456-518)


Tip: If you love a style, but feel like it’s not quite modest enough for your taste, don’t give up…layer! For example, layering a cami under a dress or top with a plunging neckline adds coverage and a pop of contrasting color. Another option is to wear a tailored jacket over a too-bare sheath dress. You’ll look and feel feminine, elegant and appropriate.

-the metrostyle team