February 19, 2009

I'm a Barbie Girl......


How I love her. Despite arguments of anatomical enhancement, Barbie is a role model for all girls. She has been an astronaut, lifeguard, veterinarian, business woman, ball room dancer, and rock star (with way more talent than Jem!). Not to mention the Dreamhouse and the hot boyfriend! She does it all while wearing stilettos with ease and maintaining a perfect blonde coiffe.

Designers have lined up to dress her. She has been spotted wearing Vera Wang, Kate Spade, Christian Dior, and of course her favorite, Bob Mackie. She’s even being honored this week at Fashion Week in NYC with her very own runway show! http://barbiemedia.com/?vid=94

My loyalty to her outlasted any other childhood memento. At high school parties I was the picture of cool, posing in my brightly colored denim and trying not to choke on my cigarette. “Let’s hang out tomorrow,” I would say to my friend, then whisper, “bring your Barbies!” She would reply, “I will,” and then hiss, “DON’T TELL ANYONE!” We would die if anyone knew we still played with dolls. But my devotion to Barbie outweighed the fear of being discovered by my peers.

Years later I got engaged on Christmas Eve. The next morning, my mother handed me a wrapped box in a familiar shape: Wedding Day Barbie. She sits on a shelf in my closet where I can see her…a daily reminder to be a good wife, a loving mother, a strong woman. I know I would have turned out okay without her, but I wonder what would be different had I never been given that first doll.

Although she never seems to age, this year Barbie turns 50. Happy birthday to a woman who does it all…always in perfect fashion.
by Sarah