November 18, 2009

Look Who's Coming to Dinner!

One of my more memorable Thanksgiving dinners was when I invited my vegetarian boyfriend for dinner. It didn't occur to me that I should have mentioned this little fact to my mother before we all started serving ourselves. I have two older brothers, who like most boys in their teens, could eat everything in site in seconds flat as if they were competing for a world record. Louie, being the polite guest, didn't get in their way and waited patiently for things to get passed his way. By the time we all started eating, my mother looked at Louie's plate and noticed that there wasn't much on his and told him to help himself to some turkey and not to be shy. Louie spoke up and said that he was all set and did not eat turkey because he was a vegetarian. I saw my mom's jaw drop, as she looked from me, to my brother's overflowing plates loaded with mashed potatoes and veggies and then to the almost empty dishes on the table. By now I was thinking, 'Just run, I can outrun her right?!' She managed not to choke me. She apologized for her rude and gluttonous family and then told poor Louie to take the little bit of mashed potatoes and veggies that were left. I think he was a little embarrassed and still hungry because he ended up having a small piece of turkey. Needless to say I apologized up and down to both Louie and my mom.

To this day, we still tell that story at every Thanksgiving dinner and my mom continues to give me a look that could kill. Do you have any memorable Thanksgiving stories that get passed along each year? I hope that you all have a happy and safe Thanksgiving and many laughs!

by Izzy