December 15, 2008

Gone to the Dogs

My husband and I have a 7-month-old puggle (pug + beagle = puggle). My mom, who is a seamstress by trade, made Freya a hot pink fleece hoodie to wear for the winter.

Freya seems to love her sweatshirt, especially during our early morning play time (temperatures here have been in the low teens).

I thought this was so cute, I went out and bought her a houndstooth wrap and bright orange “puffer” jacket as well. Once I started looking, I was amazed at how many dog fashions there were out there. You can find them in practically every store from basic (Target) to designer, plus there are dozens of shops online...I even saw a dog fashion blog!

The problem is that my husband is 100% appalled by this, and he and seems to think that people who dress their dogs epitomize all is wrong with society today. He thinks it’s frivolous, unnecessary and a waste of money.

I admit that it’s somewhat silly…but it’s also kind of fun. It’s not like I’m pushing her around in a baby stroller or anything. It’s just a coat…or two...or three.

What do you think: is doggy fashion reasonable or ridiculous?

By Bren B