August 3, 2009

How would Carrie Bradshaw handle the recession?

One of my favorite Sex and the City episodes is when Carrie Bradshaw realizes that the down payment for her apartment had gone to her shoe collection. Finding herself in financial dire straights she says, I spent $40,000 on shoes and I have nowhere to live?

I will literally be the old woman who lived in her shoes!

I can relate. I may not have spent $40,000 on shoes (Not yet, anyway), but I do have enough of them that if I ever find myself homeless, I reckon I’ll be able to fashion myself a pretty sizeable cardboard-box-home from all of the shoe boxes I’ve collected over the years.

So how would the iconic Sex and the City character handle today’s economic woes? She would probably end up in a hospital or perhaps she would go back to her ’80s stuff and start bringing it out again. Maybe she should have bought a very similar shoe style with a not so similar price tag...