November 21, 2008

Runway to Real Life: The Holiday Dress

My love affair with holiday dresses started when I was 7 years old. That year, my Great Aunt took my sisters and me to see the Nutcracker ballet and bought us each a special dress for the occasion.

My dress had an ivory satin top with a deep red velvet skirt. It was gorgeous, and the moment I slipped it on, I was transformed from tomboy to glamor girl. I barely remember the ballet (sorry Auntie!)…but I’ll never forget that dress!

Now, each year, I watch the winter runways with childlike anticipation. I’m always excited when my favorite trends are plucked from the runway by retailers and transformed into real life, ready-to-wear styles.

Here's what I'm wild about this year...

Amazing Lace:

Not your mama’s macramé, today’s lace is sheer, fitted and sinfully sexy (in a tasteful, sophisticated way, of course!).

There's so many ways to go with this trend, but I think the biggest bang for your buck has got to be the lace dress.

It’s feminine, festive and just all-around fabulous.



Royal Velvet:

Velvet has long been a staple during the holiday season, but this year it is beyond stunning.

Sparkling gemstones, embroidery and flared hemlines give it a royal air that's perfect for holiday parties and occasions.

And while I will always hold a special place in my heart for velvet dresses, I have to admit I'm nuts for this year's velvet separates. Lush blazers, skirts, pants and accessories that can be mixed and matched with, well...anything.

If there's one thing the runways teach us, it's that mixing things up can create a custom look... Velvet blazer with jeans for a casual Friday. Velvet pants with a silky top for an after-work event. Velvet top and skirt for a family affair...or even a night at the ballet with my own little nieces?!

It think it's time to start a tradition!


By Bren B